My bad. I didn't buy ammo on National Ammo Day. However, I did start the paperwork on a firearm, to be retrieved some 10+ days hence (piss on the CA legislature *spit*). I'm kinda bassackwards that way. I promise I will buy some ammo on National Buy a Gun Day.
Anyhoo, I've wanted a .45 Model 1911 for a long time, and I thought "there's no time like the present."
Oh, and there's the part about an anti-gun potentio-socialist in the White House with a Dembulb majority in both houses of Congress, and the potential mayhem that may ensue. So I decided to go for it.
The big decision: "What to do, what to do."
See, I'm a traditionalist in large part. I've wanted a Model 1911 for some time, seeing as how it was a mainstay of the U.S. military through two World Wars and beyond (same reason I want a Garand and a Springfield Model 1903, though I can't afford them). But the conundrum, for me, was: completely traditional route (i.e., Colt or Springfield standard military grade) or a newer model with the modern accoutrements (useable sights, no thumb-killing hammers, etc.)?
What to do, what to do?
So I compromised. Well, actually, I caved to certain realities. I wanted to buy local to home if possible (rather than local to work, where there are a few more options), I wanted a shootable weapon instead of a shootable-but-probably-should-just-hang-on-the-wall weapon, and this was just so pretty. Well, pretty and functional. Oh, and the one I settled on is a limited-edition, two-tone gun which comes just a wee bit closer to the blued metal of the traditional route, rather than the modern stainless route.
And since it's in the venerable "Colt Commander" configuration, I guess that's just barely traditional enough (the original Commander style having come out nearly 60 years ago, even before I was born) to satisfy my traditionalist leanings.
Aw hell. Who am I kidding? I caved to modernism. But I can live with that. I'm a gun whore, I admit it.
Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

18 comments:
Yay for guns. I really want to get a handgun, but the fundage is low right now. I may have to put it on credit. Better to have something than nothing once my friendly Government promises to protect me if I only give up my gun...
Shopping for both a shotgun and a handgun at the moment. Going to have to go with economy models on both, but, at least with the shotgun, there are some very economical models to be had.
I'm having some problems with the pistol. I'm thinking about getting a 1911-style .45 as well. I'm probably just going to have to haunt the Pawn shops over the next month or so.
So which one did you get, exactly?
Cullen, browsing the shops I saw a couple of stripped-down standard type models for about $450, but I was kind of warned off them unless you want to KEEP them as stripped-down models. If you plan to add better sights and such, best to get them already equipped. Para-Ordnance seems to have some pretty reasonably priced models but I don't know about their quality.
Val, it's the second one down here (picture).
And I just noticed that I didn't mention the brand, it's a Smith & Wesson. I had no idea until I started looking recently that S&W had started making 1911 models, I had largely assumed I would get a Springfield or maybe Colt.
What a gorgeous piece. I'd love something like that, but it's not in the budget, and my hands are too small for many guns with a lager caliber than .380, or at the most, 9mm Makarov.
Well, I take that back: I've handled Kahrs that fit my hands, but that would be an abusive relationship (Ow! I love you, but you're hurting me!)
It is gorgeous, isn't it? I was originally looking at an all-stainless with black grips (the one immediately below it in the link above, or at least very close to that) but this one arrived in the shop between visits and I opted for it.
For a base model dead reliable 1911 you can not beat a Kimber Custom II for the price. Aprrox 650-700 dollars + tax.
I own Springers, Para double-stacks I built up from gunsmith frame kits, an STI, and misc USGI 1911s (12 1911s total) but the Kimber is the go to gun for single stack range gun and didn't need any massaging out of the box.
They're also the gun my friend's shop/range uses as their rental 1911s. They get cleaned at least every other week and every four or 5 years they get sent back to Kimber to be factory reconditioned when they're about shot-out (35-50,000 rounds or so). They haven't had a range gun break yet.
The Ultra-Compact Springer is my go to gun for summer concealed carry but I put a lot of hours and a lot of non-stock parts in it before it made me happy.
You can spend $400 or $10,000 on a 1911, you just need to decide what you're actually going to use it for. A lot of race gun features are less than practical in real world usage. The extended and extra ambi things snag on stuff. I shot right and left handed and I've never found a need to have ambidextrous controls and extended releases even when I did IPSC and IDPA.
Home protection is what I have in mind, so I have no need for anything too ostentatious.
Anyone have any strong feelings about Taurus .45s? I love their revolvers. Shot The Judge not too long ago.
Way cool, Ken!
The Colt Combat Commander is a good pistol, I used to own one. Reliable, compact, hard hitting. The Colt 1991A1 is an updated version of the 1911A1 model (better safety, couple other changes), if you're interested in staying close to the traditional 1911A1 (an equally fine weapon, just harder to find).
Ken, have you ever checked out the Civilian Marksmanship Program? They have used Garands and M1 carbines for sale at odd occasions. They need work before shooting, but you can get one for a decent price. Spare part sources abound on the INTERNET.
Joining the CMP takes a bit of paperwork, and membership in an associated gun club, but is worth it. Especially for the ammo.
Thanks for the great info, Tom! I'm really just a schlep when it comes to pistol shooting but I love reading the info. I looked at some Kimbers too but the ones available locally were a might too pricey for me.
Cullen, I've heard good things about the Taurus revolvers but practically nothing about their semis. Never shot either one. BTW, just out of idle curiosity, what model shotgun are you looking at?
Jeff, I've thought about the CMP. My former boss got a Garand through it a while back, good price too because he qualified in a match. I don't know if you remember but I posted one time at 'Pints about the virtues of a heavier rifle, how I've always read that they are easier to shoot offhand. His Garand was the rifle that brought that little truth home to me, it was SOOOOO stable and easy to hold shooting offhand.
Also, do you know if they still have .45 ammo available? I now (or will in a few days) have an outlet to burn some.
Alas, Ken, CMP doesn't sell .45 ammo any more. You might try here.
I have kind of been bitten by the 1911 bug. I would like to get a high cap 9mm first. I have thought about a 9mm 1911, but I just don't think that would be right. I did get a Bushmaster AR-15 for my 16 year old son on 11/05/08.
Cheaper than dirt is what my father in law uses and he buys in bulk. Yeah, he's one of those armory kind of guys. Not that I'm complaining.
I'm on the fence about the shotgun too. I'm looking at Charles Daily, Mossberg and Remington. Price is my main concern here, but I like the Mossberg and Remington models because they have a lot of modifications available.
Mark, my former boss (the one with the Garand) is a big 1911 fan, and owns several. All in 9mm.
Cullen, if price is the biggest consideration, definitely hit the pawn shops but even better, hit stores that carry used guns. My limited experience is that pawn shops tend to be way overpriced, and even if not, the gun shops will usually have much better advice.
I practice with cast 185 and 205 grainer SWCs with bullseye behind them duplicating the muzzle energy of your average USGI 230 grain hardball load. Cuts down shooting costs significantly. Adds a little bit to cleaning I suppose, but not noticeably unless you try to push them too fast.
Tom, I've heard (read) that one should only shoot FMJ, or at least jacketed rounds, in the .45 (really, all autos). Certainly not any kind of lead load. It's not just the cleaning, but the feeding of the next round, especially with WCs.
Any advice on that score?
Run a FMJ at the end of every second magazine to "clean the bore". Never had feed problems but all my guns are ramped.
Ray Chapman of the "Chapman Stance" and 4 time world champ IPSC shooter taught me that.
Makes putting a thousand+rounds down range on a weekly basis more affordable.
We've been doing it for decades and gotten away with it.
Lots of myths about 1911s.
As for defensive carry rounds, I carry 165 Hydra-Shoks mixed with 230s in my 3" and 3.5" and misc full house +P 230s in my full size, not settled on a favorite yet for the full size.
Practice isn't a gunfight and the more practice the better. A very occasional (1 out of 500) stoppage on the range isn't any call for alarm. Depends on the gun and feed ramp and anal retentive cleanliness as much as anything.
If I knew I was going into a gun battle with a 1911, I'd go with 230FMJ or at least every other, no questions asked. That's what they were designed for. Ranges aren't fights.
Shooting hard cast allows me the fiscal ability to do a lot of wrong hand and non-dominant eye practice that I couldn't as easily afford shooting factory or factory copy ammo.
For what it's worth...I tried to run WOLF .223 in my .223 semis and CCI Blazer AL case .45ACP in my 1911s and they averaged a jam every third round and people buy that shit up like crazy because it's cheap.
If you load properly with decent hard cast bullet profiles you have no trouble shooting cast in 1911s unless you're slovenly in your cleaning.
Post a Comment