Saturday, March 21, 2009

Book review

As promised (sort of), a book review of The Quickie, by James Patterson.

Prelude: I've loved the Alex Cross series. Slightly less so, but not too much less, I liked the Women's Murder Club. I've gone through all in both series except the latest in the Cross series (but soon, I promise).

Meanwhile, I've branched out into Patterson's other books. Judge and Jury - very good. The Jester - even better.

But this post is about The Quickie, which I just finished (by driving extra far on my way back from the library this morning).

Man. How cool was this book? Way cool. Gal thinks her husband's cheating on her. So she hooks up with and bangs another dude. Husband kills the dude, who just happens to be a narcotics division detective. She becomes the lead homicide detective on the case of the dude, because turns out she's a homicide division detective and gets assigned to the case.

After that it gets weird and twisted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you been watching "Castle" on ABC? In the first episode, Castle (a mystery writer) plays poker with some friends and as the camera pans around the table, you realize one player is Stephen J. Cannell and another is.... James Patterson!

Pretty good show, actually, for network TV.

The Fifth String said...

Ha! That's great. Not that I would have recognized either one of them (maybe James Patterson, from the CD jackets, but I have no idea what Stephen J. Cannell looks like, despite watching several of his shows). And no, I haven't been watching it.

WV: unhoes - women not sung about by rappers.

B.B. said...

Ummm.... if you watch Cannell's shows and don't know what he looks like, you obviouosly tune out before the end of the credits -- the production logo for each one gets thrown onto the screen as a piece of paper that he's been banging away at on a typewriter.

And I agree with Julie, Castle's pretty good, and has some nice twists -- plus I'm a big Nathan Fillion fan, it's a result of watching Firefly.

WV: Conappe -- what a grifter does when he wants a banana.