Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mystery solved, maybe kinda sorta

So I mentioned before this gal (Mary) that just keeps showing up in family pictures. As near as I can tell from searching on Ancestry and other places, she is no relation. Yet she just keeps showing up, as do several other faces, specifically Edith and Thelma.

Well, I think have solved at least part of the mystery. Solution below the fold:

Wait, there's no fold. Danged blogspot.

Anyway, the solution is that there is no relation. Turns out, as near as I can tell, two of the faces that show up a lot are college friends of my grandmother (one may have been her roommate, not completely certain). One of the photos is of Grandma and one of these gals at college graduation, and I thought it looked like the one I saw in an actual, identified picture from nearly 20 years later.

So just for the halibut, I started paging through my Grandma's college yearbooks. Right on hand, I have 1923 and 1924. Unfortunately, only the senior class has its pictures and names; this seems to be a common failing in yearbooks from the early 20th century. BUT, not only did I find Edith among the senior pictures, I found Thelma in some of the club listings.

And so the mystery seems to be solved. They are college friends who remained in close touch (as in vacationing together) for years after college.

And Mary, from the other post? She is the mother of Thelma. It seems that not only were the girls close friends in college, their families became close enough to vacation together and exchange family pictures for many years. There's also another gal who keeps showing up. Still haven't quite figured her out yet, but she seems to be associated with the Boblets (Mary her husband Harry, and Thelma) and I have a copy of her wedding picture, taken in Hawaii in the early 1930s. The Boblets lived in Hawaii around then, but I'm sure this is not Thelma (though she sure seems to get treated like a daughter to Mary and Harry). In fact, I'm fairly certain her maiden name was Hammond, and that she married a guy named Holt, and that they had a son named Austin (just like Thelma had a brother named Austin, seems to run in the family). Relative of the Boblets? I guess. But no way to be certain right now.

Well, another mystery for another day.

1 comment:

Dave E. said...

Great detective work, Ken. Since you did those posts on old pics awhile back, I've been trying to gather and scan, and get identities, on old pics from my own family sides and also gather general ancestral history. It's been a mixed bag so far. There's some kind of tension on one side of the family about giving up info and I'm not sure what that's all about. Maybe some personal tension between a couple of other people, or maybe they found out that we all descend from a bunch of brigands. I don't know, but these days I'm kind of hoping it all relates to brigands.