Thursday, January 29, 2009

Homer and Jethro

Oh my goodness, they rock. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the one I was looking for ("Like Mother Used to Make") but Joel posted, so how could I do no less? It was one of the tunes they "had little or no success with" even though it was released on "a long-playing cylinder many years ago." Yes, it's a funny line and "you look clean but you laugh dirty" so we will forgive you.



Oh, and here's a link to another good one. A lot of early filler on that one, so scroll ahead to H&J on stage.

Postscript: I actually have on vinyl ("vie-null" for you kids out there) a Steve Goodman album with the original version of this excellent song. It also has Steve's version of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" with Jethro Burns playing some OUT-FREAKIN'-STANDING mandolin. Unfortunately, it is apparently NOT available on youtube. Someday when I have the right turntable, perhaps I can rip it and post it, along with "Like Mother Used to Make" if I can ever locate a copy of it...

No comments: