But I got to thinking of "Sloop John B" this evening.
Here's the definitive version:
The Beach Boys said that the inspiration for their version was this one:
There are several versions available, you can click through the above to find them, and also to find the original story about the song. But meantime, here is another great version (and I never knew he covered it):
Goes live on Saturday!
3 weeks ago

2 comments:
I can see why that third version isn't widely known. Johnny Cash at his least musical. That monotonous, arhythmic drone works well with some songs. "Sloop John B" isn't one of them.
My music library contains performances of "Sloop John B" by the Beach Boys, the Kingston Trio, the Weavers ... makes me wonder just how many performers have recorded versions of it.
Really? I loved it! Perhaps not the Beach Boys or Kingston Trio (haven't tracked down a Weavers version yet but I'll try to find one this evening) but I loved it.
Post a Comment