Tuesday, June 9, 2009

So I forgot to mention

We're having our new doors painted. I don't paint anymore; I refuse to put up with substandard work these days. Also, we're getting the foyer* painted. Chose colors this past weekend, with Daughter Number One arrogantly demanding lending her tasteful opinion on colors.

The painting is being done by a neighbor, a fine fellow who decided to leave the corporate rat race (and ugly commute) to do handyman/contractor work around the neighborhood. It seems to agree with him, he enjoys it and is (so I'm told, I haven't spent much time with him) much happier doing this than fighting the traffic and corporate bullshit.

Me? Unfortunately, I have no salable skills in that area, so I'll keep fighting the traffic and corporate bullshit. And gladly pay to have a knowledgeable and skillful guy to do that work for me. Because I refuse to tolerate substandard work, so I'll hire it out to the professionals.

*For anyone who cares, and you should, this is properly pronounced as it is spelled. None of this faux-French "foy-YAY" crap. And BTW, the word "valet" is properly pronounced "VALL-et" in English. If you ever listen to anything more than 20 years old, you may well hear it pronounced properly.

OTOH, "filet" is properly pronounced "fil-LAY". But I prefer the English spelling, "fillet".

9 comments:

Cullen said...

I am totally with you on foyer, but I disagree with valet. I think while you might be technically correct in one sense (although Dictionary.com says va-lay)), I think modern usage sets the rule now.

The Fifth String said...

"Modern" usage? Ha! Consider the source.

I refuse to bow to illiterate, supposed modernity.

Usually.

Dave E. said...

Dear Jesus, please don't tell me that you want me to call all those knives in my tackle box "FILL-et" knives. I mean, even if you do, please don't.

Cullen said...

Oh come on, modern usage is how language develops, Ken. Otherwise we'd all still be speaking Old English or Latin.

I don't mind language evolving - I do mind it de-evolving (such as all the "txt spk").

That said, Merriam Webster offers both pronunciations of valet as being accurate.

The Fifth String said...

I choose to be reactionary.

Actually, I don't mind language evolving but I like to keep a leash on it. Being reactionary on these points helps with the leash.

I even choose to be contrary on some things. For instance, I choose (consciously and deliberately) to use the British pronunciation of "primer" for a schoolbook (long I). And unless one is talking about a new invention, the word "patent" is ALWAYS pronounced with a long A.

I also offend some American Standard English purists (a very strange concept in itself) by putting the period inside the quote when appropriate.

But I will NOT budge on "begs the question".

The Fifth String said...

N BTW, txt spk mks me vmt.

Cullen said...

I'm all-American when it comes to quotations. It's odd reading the British structuring after coming through our grammatical system.

The Fifth String said...

For a quote, large phrase, or full or near-full sentence, yes.

But when it's only one or two words, expecially for a phrase which tends to be treated as if it were a standalone entity (like the "begs the question" phrase above) I refuse to put the period inside the quotes. It's just wrong.

Cullen said...

." > ".